Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Jonathan And The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day


Yesterday I had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. If I could I would have moved to Australia. But that takes money. Crap.

Yesterday absolutely nothing that I attempted on the computer worked. Nada, nothing, zilch, pthbthbthbthbbbt. As ill as I was, they would have never let me on the plane to Australia anyway. They would have ended up tazing me right there in front of everyone. Grrr.

By the time that I went to bed (which was about 16 hours later than I should have) I was relatively sure that I would not maintain any ounce of sanity that still remained had I been forced to endure another day like that.

I had been working on a page with additional information on the house featured on my website. (http://RealSalisbury.com) I was sure that I had coded everything correctly, but no matter what I did, it wasn't displaying correctly. I checked the HTML and then I checked the CSS and then I rechecked them over and over, and there was NOTHING wrong with the way I had written the code!

In utter frustration and Vesuvial anger I decided that it was time to step away from the computer and call it a night. When I turned on the computer this morning, the evil thing displayed perfectly. Jerk.

Today went some better. No rage issues. That's good, but the computer is still a fickle mistress. I am utterly perplexed by some of the behaviors that I have witnessed using CSS. I must be misunderstanding some definitions somewhere, because it surely isn't behaving the way that I expect it to most of the time. I'm back to blind squirrel in a field strewn with acorns again.

I am not completely satisfied with the design of the page. I am going to try to see if I can't improve it and make it display a little cleaner. I really hate the way the nav bar is behaving. I am going to have to find a better way to do it.

The thing that is really messing me up is that every browser displays a little bit differently. I had things looking OK on IE and Firefox, but when I looked at the page on a Mac it wasn't right. Hopefully the template that I will be using for the Joomla site will help me to overcome these issues. Please do keep the critiques coming. I have found them to be helpful.

By the way, I discovered that Judith Viorst, the lady who wrote Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day has done an online adaptation of the story that can be viewed at the Kennedy Center's website. Hopefully, it will help you out if you find yourself in my position.

No comments: