Saturday, September 29, 2007

The Problem With Lines In The Sand...

I was reading a couple of weeks ago about Dr. James Dobson's adamant stand that he would not support Fred Thompson's bid for the Presidency, and I have to say that I was disappointed in Dr. Dobson. I have always respected him, and that really hasn't changed, but I have to wonder how well he has thought this thing through before making such a bold statement.

Just for the record I haven't decided who I am supporting among the present roster of GOP hopefuls. I do know that I have found it fairly easy to eliminate some candidates from my consideration at this time. Giuliani is WAY too liberal. And Romney has his problems. Tancredo is too right wing. McCain is weak on gun issues and then there is the whole McCain/Feingold issue. This, of course brings us to Fred.

I have a number of issues with Fred Thompson. Probably number 1 to me is the whole McCain/Feingold/Thompson thing. I also sympathize with Dr. Dobson's reservations.

The simple fact of the matter is that I haven't seen anyone who has wowed me. And this is where the question arises. There is only one candidate on the Republican side that I don't think would be any better than Hillary Clinton, and that is Giuliani. However, given the choice who would I vote for? That is a tough question. I absolutely DETEST abortion, so voting for either would almost be unconscionable for me. I would probably vote for an independent over either of those. But it gets a little fuzzier on the other candidates.

Of one thing I am pretty sure: I would vote for a moral, conservative non-Christian over a liberal, amoral "Christian." If my only choices are two evils, I see no other choice. Perhaps Dr. Dobson should consider that this may be the choice that we face next November.

No comments: