Thursday, September 06, 2007

An Auspicious Moment

Wow, this is my 200th posting to this blog. Kind of cool. 200 entries in about 4 years and I took a whole year off. Let's see, that's 3 into 200...carry the 2...add the 4...halve the difference... that makes 66.6666666666666666666666666666666666 etc. posts per year in the years that I am posting. Hardly killing myself I guess. It would be alot more impressive if they were home runs! I'm on a pace to break that mark somewhere by the middle of next month. Does that mean I should take the rest of the year off?

I have actually enjoyed my return to blogging. It has given me a creative outlet and seems to have actually stirred some of my other creative gifts. I have a couple new songs swirling around in there right now. Hopefully, with my new job soon I'll have enough money to actually get a couple of these songs copyrighted and out there where my creativity could become a source of revenue.

I know, I know, you purists are out there saying it cheapens the art to sell it, but I've done the starving artist thing long enough! I've always heard that it is the greatest blessing in the world to be willing to do what you do for free, but to get paid for it anyway. I'm looking for a career like that. Perhaps this (writing music, prose, etc.) is it.

I have a couple of book ideas too. I've had lots of ideas in the past, but never really started working on them too much. My last idea took so much work just to begin to distill the idea that I got a little discouraged with it and set it aside. I hardly had a choice in the midst of taking over the real estate business. Real estate is a cruel overseer. Not mistress. Definitely not mistress. Calling it a mistress would indicate that there is enough pleasure involved to keep you coming back even though it is destroying you. The book idea's still cooking, though. However, I think that I am going to try to tackle some easier ones first.

It really has been a very creative season. I have another idea cooking that might be sellable. Nothing that I would get rich off of, but I think that it would generate a respectable income for the time that it would require to implement.

If I actually get any of these ideas implemented I'll let you know.

I just can't get over how good the past few days have been. I'm not manic about it or anything, but the past few have just been very pleasant. I could do with about a year's worth of days like this.

It seems like the sunlight has changed from summer light to fall light. It is funny how abruptly that change comes sometimes. I guess it is pretty weird that I would even notice it, but I can always tell when summer sunlight switches to fall sunlight and when winter sunlight switches to spring - and it has nothing to do with equinoxes and solstices. These seem to be the most dramatic shifts. It is as if God has a 4-way bulb in the sun and one day He decides that it is time to turn the switch. I am ready for fall to be here. I'm a fan of fall, winter, and spring. Not so much for summer, and less for spring than for fall.

My nephew started his first season of football ever yesterday. I'll have to find out how his first practice went. Man I used to dread football practice - especially the first ones, 'cause you knew that you were going to be doing ALOT of running. Running always came before hitting. I hope he enjoys it. He wants to be a receiver. I had the chance to throw with him some this summer and he has pretty good hands. If he can catch my passes, he has pretty good hands! Now if we can teach him to run so that he doesn't look like a sack of potatoes being rolled down a slide. He is in such a weird age - that 'tween stage. You couldn't pay me a million bucks - OK, maybe I'd do it for a million bucks, but definitely not $10 - to go back to being that age.

Have you ever thought about whether you would take the opportunity to go back and do it over if given the chance? I have. I think that the only way that I'd be willing to do it would be if I could do it with the knowledge and wisdom that I have already gained. Even if you could do it that way I wonder if you'd do it differently.

Well, I guess I have rambled enough for now. Now I have to go and get music ready for this week's worship service. Practice is tonight!

No comments: