Monday, July 19, 2004

It Isn't a Sunday Picnic

I got some sad news from my friend Kevin, a chaplain assistant in the Navy Reserve, who is in training now with his Marine unit in 29 Palms, California.  During a defensive driving exercise there were 2 accidents that critically injured several training Marines, killing one of them.  It was pretty difficult for the Chaplain and my friend Kevin.  They just didn't figure on having to deal with any deaths before they got to Iraq. 
 
I guess it is easy to forget how dangerous things can be in the military even if you aren't in a war zone.  We rarely hear about training accidents even though they happen all the time.  I suppose that it is just part of the package of preparing to place men in unbelievably dangerous situations.  To get them ready you have to put them in pretty dangerous situations.  Not many of us think about how much it may cost a young man or woman to just prepare to defend our country.  Some pay an incredibly high price without ever entering a hostile environment.  It really adds some perspective.
 
I really appreciate those who have volunteered to serve.  I never served in the Military and I often regret that now.  I wonder how different I would be now.  I can't help but think that it would have been a good thing for me.
 
Anyway, I have realized that I have been really slack about writing to my friend.  There are a couple of other guys that I know that are scheduled to go to Iraq soon too.  I've decided that I am going to pick a day every week to write to them.  I'll just make it my letter writing day.
 
Nobody ever writes personal letters anymore.  It's a real shame.  All you ever get is bills or junk mail.  I mean, why bother going to the mailbox, y'know?  I guess that is why email has become so popular.  It is instant and for a long time there was no junk mail.  Oh well, it was nice while it lasted!
 
Kevin's wife sent out an email with some good ideas of stuff to include in care packages that you send to soldiers.  Let me see if I can paste that stuff here.
 

Care Packages - everyone likes to get a package from their loved ones. But gosh darn it what do you put into the darn thing? Well, we have assembled some ideas along with a break down by zipcode of restrictions imposed by the prevailing authorities and created this section.These ideas are just that ideas. They have been assembled from various places, personal suggestions, past newsletters, and personal experiences. Feel free to use what you want, to experiment, and most of all make your service person remember what it was like before they left. About Food ItemsBefore contemplating what food to include in a care packages - REMEMBER be practical! It does no good to send something that your favorite person will either not have the means to prepare -OR- have to carry with them should they need to travel. It is a waste of money to send it, if it is unusable.You should also consider whether it will arrive in an usable condition. In other words - if it melts, spoils, or can be contaminated you may want to reconsider the selection.The identified items typically can survive long distances. (and like the old Timex slogan - they can take a licking and keep on ticking.) They should make it there fresh and shouldn't spoil and/or crumble (hopefully).
Comfort Items
Drinks
Everday
Fun Stuff
General
Non-Microwave Meals

Snacks
Toiletries
Ideas-birthday
Ideas-spring
Ideas-summer
Ideas-valentine

Packing it
Mailing it - The restriction informationMilitary Post Office Location List (MPOLL)

Here's some other stuff that would be appreciated:


New DVDs, CDs and Players
Disposable Cameras
AT&T Prepaid Phone Cards
Handheld electronic games
Puzzle, Word Game and Crossword books
Battery Operated Fans, Misty Mates or other cooling products
Commercially wrapped individual packets of Trail Mix, Beef Jerky, Nuts, Cookies, Energy Bars, Sunflower Seeds, Candy
Ready To Eat Tuna or Chicken Salad kits
Boxes of Girl Scout Cookies
Packets of Powdered Cold Beverages
Commercially sealed Lip Balm
Individual packets of moist towelettes
Packets of Stationary
Novelty Items
New Knit Hats and Gloves
New T-shirts (sizes Large and Extra Large)
Travel Size containers of Foot Powder
Tobacco Products
Unsealed personal cards and letters
Bibles

John Michael Montgomery has a new song out now called Letters From Home.  It talks about how important it is to the soldiers out there to get that little touch from friends and family back in the States.  If you haven't heard it, I'd recommend it.  Anyway, I never realized how true it was until I got an email from Kevin thanking me for a dorky little card that I sent to him from my business.  I had written a short little personal message on it that was nothing great, but it meant alot to him.
 
So, I was thinking that I would include his mailing address here just in case you would like to write to him too.  Being a chaplain aide I am sure that he could put you on to some good Marines who could use a note.  I'm sure that it would brighten their day and make them feel a little better about the sacrifice that they are making to be away from their families and friends. 

RP2 Rumsey, H&S Company,Chaplain's Office, 1st BN, 23rd Marines, PSC 788505, Twentynine Palms,CA 92278

Please take some time and write him or the people that you know that are serving us and laying their lives on the line - even if they haven't left the USA yet.

No comments: