Saturday, July 10, 2004

Don't Feel Much Like Blogging

I'm not really in the mood today. I don't know why. I didn't feel like it yesterday either. I think that it might have something to do with staying in the office so much lately. Of course, it could also be that there is so much discouraging stuff going on in the world that I just want a change of scene. Maybe it is because it is so blasted hot. I don't know, but for whatever reason, I just don't feel creative and fun today.

I just got back from my first cousin (once removed)'s wedding. It wasn't much to write about. The couple was, shall we say, rushed into it by some choices that they made. You could tell that they were both scared to death. No real joy in it. No excitement - only fear.

That is NOT the way that I want to do marriage if I ever do it. Marriage is a serious commitment, a covenant - the most serious commitment that a person can ever make before God - but it should also be one of the happiest days and most joyous days in your life. On your wedding day you are declaring to the world that God has given you a fabulous gift that is so excellent that you are sure that a lifetime won't be enough time to discover all of its goodness.

Weddings always depress me a little bit anyway. I think that part of it stems from the fact that I have desired such a gift for a long time. "Hope deferred makes the heart sick." Still, I wouldn't want such a challenge as my cousin has set herself up for. That is more trouble than I believe in volunteering for.

Part of it also stems from the fact that regardless of all of the good intentions you have on that day, and all of the promises that you make, and all of the love that you have for that person a day is coming when you will (intentionally or unintentionally) hurt that person who is making you so happy. Morbid thought, I know, but true.

I'm heading to see the Durham Bulls play tomorrow night. It should be a good bit of fun. My brother-in-law will be working the plate. I hope they give us decent seats. It will be great to actually get to see an entire ballgame for a change. I rarely ever get to watch more than three innings it seems. Of course I am typically at the game with my nephew and/or niece and that means that you are going to be up and down for snacks, games, souvenirs, etc. Not to mention that you have to keep them entertained while the game is going on. They are playing Shrek after the game on the jumbotron. That should be cool. I doubt that I'll stay for much of that though. I guess it depends on how long the game runs.

I had the opportunity last night to go down and visit my old Boy Scout Camp. It was great. Alot of things have changed there. They have a new pool and there is a new dining hall. I kind of hate the dining hall thing. When I was a Scout there we had to cook our own food. Granted, you got some interesting dishes if you didn't supervise the cooks well, but you also learned how to do alot of things that these kids may not be learning otherwise. When I was at camp as a Scout you had to actually build a fire in a crappy woodstove that didn't draft right. You ended up missing breakfast alot of times, but you also learned how to build fires and how to cook.

The yellow jackets were always bad at camp. Being the innovators that we were, we developed a dandy yellow jacket trap. See, every morning we would get a jar of jelly for our toast or whatever. We would use a little bit of the jelly and then we would set the jar on the table with the lid off. Of course, the yellow jackets were attracted to the sugar in the jelly and would land in the jar. Once they did and were sufficiently occupied slurping up that sugary stuff, we'd clap the lid on the jar, tighten it down and shake it vigorously. This would leave the yellow jacket encased in the jelly. It was actually kind of cool looking when you had alot of bees entombed in the jar. Apple jelly produced the most visually impressive results.

Being down there at the camp really brought back some great memories and made me want to do some exploring to see what is new and what hasn't changed. I think that I'll take my nephew down there one night when they are having campfire and let him see what Scout camp is like. I think that he'll have a great time.

Well, that is about all for tonight. I have a couple word studies that I want to write about soon, but I'm not in the mood to try anything that ambitious tonight. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

It is always scary when the brighter, happier time that we are thinking about was the 1970s! I know what you mean about retreating to these places. It brings a kind of sense to it all.