Monday, July 12, 2004

Don't Mess With Hamilton


Alexander Hamilton Posted by Hello

Following the death of President Reagan there has been a good bit of talk about replacing Alexander Hamilton's portrait on the $10 bill with President Reagan's. Those of you who have read my posts surrounding President Reagan's death realize how much I think of him so it may surprise you to find out that I am not an advocate of the removal of Hamilton's portrait from the $10 bill. I do think that President Reagan is worthy of such an honor, but I believe the same about Alexander Hamilton too.

Most of us are victims of a public school system that has totally deprived us of an adequate understanding of our own history and the figures that loomed so large in it. Alexander Hamilton is one of those figures. Sadly, most Americans - even those of us who love history - have little knowledge of who Alexander Hamilton was or of his significant contributions to America's government and economy.

Daniel Ruddy has done an excellent job writing about this great man in an article published by Newsmax.com. It is called The Little Lion's Roar: Remembering Alexander Hamilton.

Please take a little time and get to know this towering figure in America's history, and spare him his place on the $10 bill!

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

Yeah, I know what you mean. I almost NEVER see a $50 bill let alone have one. But if I were to displace anyone it would be Grant. It isn't like he was a genius of military tactic or political skill. T. Roosevelt would get my vote before Grant and Reagan gets my vote ahead of Teddy. But it would be a close one. Of course, I could probably be pursuaded to remove Jefferson too. His weird thoughts put us in this mess that we are in today with all of this separation of Church and State stuff. But that is another discussion for another day.

Scipio said...

Grant was a military genius. His Vicksburg campaign is proof enough, but if you need more look at the way he used Sherman to run rampant in Georgia and the Carolinas as he pinned down Lee in VA. Grant was the second greatest general in US history after Lee, though as a strategist he may have been even greater than Lee.

Jonathan said...

As a Southerner, I would sure hate to concede your last statement! One thing about Grant that I can concede. He certainly recognized his army's greatest strength and the Confederacy's greatest weakness. This recognition and his willingness to do what it took to win definitely won him the war.

Thanks for commenting!