Tuesday, June 22, 2004

No Water

I returned to my home yesterday evening with my sister's two kids (one's 8 and the other is 3.) We were getting all set for an evening of fun and meaningful interaction when I went to turn on the water in my kitchen. Nothing. Not even a drop.

I am in the (usually) fortunate position of being able to use a well inside of the town limits. I hate city water. I don't like the way that it tastes, and something inside me just rebels at having to pay for water out of the tap. I guess it has something to do with growing up with a well. ...It may also have something to do with a general distrust that I have towards any governmental body charging me money!

Most of the time having a well is a great advantage to me. The water tastes much better and you don't have to pay for it every month. However, there are moments when having a well is a disadvantage. For instance, power outages mean (at least here) no water. (That includes toilet flushing too.) It can be a problem too when there are natural contaminants like lead or sulfur too, but I've never had to endure those sorts of hardships before.

So I talked to a well guy today. He seems to think that the motor to my pump has gone out. I don't like the sound of that. At least I have the comfort of knowing that I'm dealing with probably the best well man in the county - maybe even the state. Still, it doesn't comfort me at all to think of the money that I could soon be spending.

If I think of some great spiritual lesson that I'm supposed to be learning here, I'll let you know tomorrow!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

"When your well is dry, call the Well Guy" - and there is your spiritual lesson for the day! :)

Jonathan said...

That's got a nice ring to it!