Sunday, June 20, 2004

Happy Fathers' Day

On Fathers' Day I just want to pay tribute to my dad. It is so easy to take parents for granted. They are always there, they are always the same, and so it is easy to get accustomed to the way that they are. I never really realized how good I had it until I went away to college. There I met so many people who came from broken homes or came from homes where the father (or mother) weren't the most supportive of their children. I actually had one fraternity brother whose parents threw him out of the house because he believed in speaking in tongues. Unbelievable.

My father is a good man who loves Jesus Christ very much and has done his best to train me to follow the Lord. I'm glad that he was successful in that pursuit! He has also taught me so much more than that. He has taught me about integrity and about what it means to be a good employee. I'd have to say that most of my business ethics I developed as a direct result of watching and learning from him. He has taught me about hard work and diligence and responsibility. There were lots of times that it would have been easier for him to check out when I was growing up, but he stayed put.

Over the past year and a half I have had the honor of working with my dad in his business. I have heard so many horror stories about that kind of arrangement, but I have to say that our partnership has been wonderful. Of course we rub each other the wrong way sometimes - mostly over failure to communicate well with each other - but the love and respect that we have for each other always seems to overcome that.

One of the neat things that I have been able to learn about my dad while working with him is that he has a "steel" side. I never saw so much of that growing up, because most of the time he was very gentle with my siblings and me, but I have absolutely no doubt that this man has a spine! Seeing this trait in him has helped me to strengthen my own.

I appreciate my dad for not being afraid to discipline me in love too. I don't care what the psychologists say out there; physical discipline is indispensable in character development. He is also not afraid to correct me when I'm wrong even now. Granted, I am hardly EVER wrong! ;-)

One lesson that I'll never forget regarded fidelity. My dad was in a discussion with someone about a marriage that had broken up and the question of fidelity came up. The other person commented that one could hardly blame the husband if he had been unfaithful due to some of the personality flaws in the wife. My dad instantly (and forcefully) said, "There is never an excuse for infidelity." I'll never forget that.

It is a lesson that he has lived out for nearly 40 years, and I really appreciate that too. When I see how many people don't have parents that have stayed married it makes me really appreciate my parents for working through the rough spots. It helps me to have faith that marriage can still work.

So here’s to my dad for all the many things that he has done for me and for the many lessons that he has taught me. I’m so very grateful to have you for my father and for my friend.

4 comments:

kaysetzer said...

Guess what?! Your Dad's "steel" was handed down to JED!!! That steel will always be used on the side of right, in favor of the poor, weak, and helpless. "True religion is to care for the orphans and widows..." It makes me feel very safe.

Jonathan said...

Thanks, Kay.

Anonymous said...

Hi, It's John Toomey! lol I don't really want to join the Blogger community, I am a loyal Xanga! Here is my web address for my Xanga Journal:

http://www.xanga.com/john_toomey

I will just post my comments anonymously..

That post just warms my heart! I look forward to the days of my father loving Jesus Christ again, and having a close knit relationship with him. I love my father, and he knows that, I just wish he would love God.

Jonathan said...

It'll happen, John. I've seen the Lord working on him already. It's just a matter of time. I've never seen the Lord lose a wrestling match over a broken heart!