Wednesday, June 23, 2004

He's Dead, Jim.

Well, it's official. My poor little well has perished. The well guy was out there this morning to take a look at it but there was nothing he could do. It seems that my well was over 40 years old. (I'm guessing 43 +/- 1 year.) But 40 just sounds too young to die! Back then they only used a 2 1/2 inch pipe and the pump and motor were affixed right at ground level. Now they use a 6-inch pipe, and there aren't any motors out there that are going to match. I'm very sad about all of this. It is very likely that I'll end up having to connect to the city's water, and I'm just not excited about it.

I suppose that it is possible that I could end up digging another well (IF the town of China Grove will let me.) If they will, I guess what I end up doing will all depend on how much it will cost to put in a new well versus connecting to the town's water supply. I'm guessing that connecting to the town is going to be the more cost-effective route. It's enough to make me want to move out in the country! Too bad I don't have enough equity to do that yet!

The family of the deceased has requested that no flowers be sent, but memorials will be accepted.

Que lastima!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's me...the anonymous poster again. At least in my life-long accomplishments, I outlived your well.

Not a lot to look back on as far as accomplishments go, but I don't have high expectations out of my life at this point.

Baw-Hahahahaha....

Good luck on the well...but I think I would hook up to city water. Well water in your area has a lot of contaminates in it from decades of farm chemicals and filling station leakage. It would be cleaner to filter the city water than try to drink from a new well.

Jonathan said...

Yeah, not to mention that it should cost about half as much to hook up to the city. I've resigned myself to it and will have to wait for my next house to get back to a well.