Sunday, April 27, 2008

Last Of The Freaky-Looking Vegetable Series...For Now At Least

Purple Dragon CarrotsAlas, this is the last in my series on freaky-looking vegetables. This one is really probably a second run after a fashion, because the purple carrot showed up in an earlier photo.

This is called the Purple Dragon Carrot. I don't know what dragons have to do with it, but there you go. I find it interesting that it is purple on the outside and orange on the inside. Kind of cool actually. I wonder how they cook? Do they keep the two colors, hang towards the purple or migrate to orange?

Dad plowed up a plot at his place for me to plant some corn. I plan on planting that Ruby Queen corn and some Silver Queen corn. (No it doesn't look silver!)

I suppose I'll probably get him to bring the tractor over so that I can dig up my plot here at the house. That will be for the other veggies. I still don't know what I will plant. I think that I will do broccoli, fordhook limas, green beans, and tomatoes at the very least. I'd also like some bell peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, and okra. I suspect that will keep me plenty busy. I may do some pea varieties too: sweet, blackeye, and maybe purple hull.

It would be great if we keep getting rain like we have been since winter rolled in. Here lately we have been getting rain at least once a week. It is really making the grass grow. I guess that is good. It serves as an additional source of income for me. Well, I have some other things to write about tonight and some general catching up to do, so I'll wrap this post up. Have a great week, and thanks for reading!

No comments: