Sunday, April 20, 2008

Lovely Vegetables...

Chioggia BeetI thought I'd share another of the interesting looking vegetables that I discovered. This is my next to last one I think. Perhaps I will go out and look for some more. But we'll just have to see about that.

This is a Chioggia Beet. It is supposed to be particularly sweet. The website where I discovered this picture said that it looks like a piece of peppermint candy. I can go with that. If you are looking for this variety you can find them on the Burpee Seed Company website.

I really don't have a whole lot of varied experience with beets. I have only had them pickled. They wouldn't make my list of favorites in that form although I do crave them from time to time. From what I have been reading, you can eat the greens and there are other ways to prepare the beets themselves. I may have to experiment with these this year.

Another thing about beets is that they are supposed to be better for producing ethanol than corn. Of course that will probably be a non-issue since everyone has decided that the ethanol route was a bad idea. I hope that people will continue to explore ethanol though. There really hasn't been enough research put towards it to find out all of the possibilities or to improve on production techniques and yield. And one thing is certain; we need an alternative fuel source for petroleum.

Well, that is all for tonight. Hopefully tomorrow I can update you on the SJB gig this weekend and perhaps get to some of those other posts that I have been meaning to do. In the meantime, have an excellent week!

No comments: