Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

I hope that all of you are enjoying time and good food with family and friends and that you have taken some time today to reflect on the things that you are thankful for. It is so easy to spend the day cooking, eating, talking, sleeping, watching TV, breaking up fights, etc and get to the end of the day and realize that you have neglected the very purpose of Thanksgiving - giving thanks.

E. P. Powell, a 19th century pastor once said, "Thanksgiving Day is a jewel, to set in the heart of honest men; but be careful that you do not take the day, and leave out the gratitude."

I have so many things to be thankful for. Have you ever taken time to list what you are thankful for? I'll admit that sometimes it comes off sounding trite. Of course we are thankful for friends and family, health, safety, our freedoms. It almost sounds silly to say it, but I encourage you to say it anyway. Thank God for the smallest things and for the big things too.

Here are just a few things that I am thankful for: God's forgiveness, abundant life, God's provision, God's protection, God's love, God's discipline, God's patience, my family, my friends, my home, the food I eat, my health, freedom to worship God without fear, my other freedoms as an American, the rain that we got this morning, transportation, the air I breathe, my guitar, music, my talents, our troops, the fall colors, victory over my adversary, the Bible, and you, my readers. I could go on and on, but I won't - not here anyway.

Have a very blessed Thanksgiving. I'm going to take a little break to enjoy the holiday, but should be back on Saturday.

I'll leave you with this quote by Tony Snow:

"If you think Independence Day is America's defining holiday, think again. Thanksgiving deserves that title, hands-down."

No comments: