Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Building A Website

I have spent all day on the computer. I am in the process of trying to build a website for a business venture that I am working on, and I am finding it to be a bit more challenging than working on the blog. I am learning a lot, but it is slow going.

More than once today I have wanted to throw up my hands and figure out a way to pay someone to do it for me. However, just a little while ago I managed to put some things together that started to look respectable. Granted, I am going to have to figure out how to change the page size to finish making it look the way I want. Oh well, another adventure awaits tomorrow.

In the midst of my frustration this afternoon I decided to Google "cool websites" and spent the rest of the afternoon going through Time's top 50 of a couple years ago. At the very least I saw that you don't have to have a visually impressive website to make the top 50. What I am going for is "user-friendly meets visually-appealing and hooks up with bandwidth-lite."

I am becoming more and more convinced that there really isn't any extremely user-friendly software out there. None of the software that I have been using in the development of this website has been intuitive at all. I have had to resort to reading the help menu to even be able to begin. I guess we can thank Microsoft for that . They have managed to get away with releasing crappy software with more bugs than a New Orleans crack house for so long that more and more companies are wondering why they are spending money on QA. As an out-of-work QA guy, I'm trying to not be bitter about it.

And speaking of the help menus... it is as if they were written by Nepalese kindergarteners and run through an internet translator. The subject-verb agreement is atrocious, the grammar is bizarre, and the spelling often doesn't even approach reality. Seriously, you'd think that someone would actually read back through it before they put it out there for public consumption. I guess they figure that no one reads the things anyway. But as clunky as the programs are you have to read the helps just to make it go!

Hopefully, we'll make better progress tomorrow. Time will tell.

No comments: