Wednesday, November 10, 2004

I've Got a New 'Target'

Just when you thought the idiots would learn...

I just found an article on Newsmax.com (Click HERE) that reports that Target stores have decided to prevent the Salvation Army from collecting money in front of their stores this year.

Target Corp. has decided to keep the Salvation Army kettles off its property this Christmas season.

That decision has Northwest Indiana leaders of the Christian charitable organization scrambling to make up part of the $9 million that kettles raise nationally. That’s almost 10 percent of their Red Kettle income.

The group has sent Northwest Indiana donors mail claiming that limited access could affect about one-third of its annual budget.

In Indiana, Salvation Army officials say the group’s state charity budget is between $25 million and $30 million annually. The Chicago-area budget is about $50 million annually.

But the Salvation Army has stopped short of criticizing Target. In fact, the mailings don’t even mention the company that won’t allow them on its property.


The article states that the Salvation Army provides relief to over 33 MILLION people in need every year. I know from WB that Florida received a lot of relief from the Salvation Army in the wake of the pummeling that they got this year from hurricanes.

“I don’t think there’s any question that someone bullied Target into doing this,” said Robert Knight, director of the D.C.-based Culture and Family Institute, an associate of the conservative group, Concerned Women for America.

But Paula Greear, spokeswoman for the Minneapolis-based Target, denied that charge, and said Target was trying to be fair to other worthy, not-for-profit organizations by not allowing exceptions.

Target has long had a no-solicitation policy, Greear said.


Well, Merry Christmas. Obviously, that policy didn't apply to the Salvation Army before. Now it does. Hmmm … Wonder what has changed?

I am glad to see that the Salvation Army has taken the high ground in this fight. It is a credit to them to have done so. I do hope that the Lord of Hosts will see their response to this tacit persecution and will provide by filling the Salvation Army's coffers doubly this season. I also hope that He will withhold revenue from Target. That would make me smile.

You would think that Target would be a bit more careful about stuff like this - especially after the urban legend that went around last Christmas that claimed that they were a French-owned company that should be boycotted. You would think that they would realize that the sleeping giant that was mobilized for this election because of morality issues just might not take too kindly to actions that could be interpreted as punitive against an organization as well thought of as the Salvation Army. You would think....

In all fairness, Target has the right to allow or prevent the Salvation Army (or anyone else) from soliciting funds on their premises. Regardless of whether it is the right thing to do or not, it is their right.

But it is also my right to tell everyone that I know and everyone that visits this blog that I think that Target is evil for making this decision. It is my right to never set foot in a Target again, and it is my right to encourage everyone that I know and everyone that visits this blog to join me in my boycott of Target because of the stance that they have taken against the Salvation Army. I hope thousands will join me. It won't hurt me at all to avoid Target. There are plenty of other retailers out there that will have a Salvation Army volunteer standing at the front door ringing their little bell. These are the stores where I will do my Christmas shopping.

If you want to get in touch with Target I will try to come back soon and get some contact information to you. I do know that the CEO's name is Robert J. Ulrich. I'll need to confirm the other phone numbers that I have been able to find before I post them here.

It is time that these left-wing nuts and politically correct freaks begin to understand that there are consequences to their hateful decisions and speech. The Dixie Chicks have begun to discover that. So have Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, and Linda Rhonstadt. France has also begun to find that out. May they learn it well.

So, whenever you see some brave soul standing next to a red kettle ringing a bell this Christmas, remember that Target stabbed his charity in the back. Give him or her a generous donation, (We're talking the green stuff - not the stuff that goes "clink!" You can also click HERE to give an online donation.) and make it a point to find the manager of the store that you are going into, and thank them for allowing the Salvation Army to solicit in front of their store. Tell them that you won't be shopping at Target this year, and that you are glad to give his store your business because of his or her support of the Salvation Army.

No comments: