Friday, November 21, 2008

Wise As Solomon

King Solomon judges in favor of the mother who wanted to spare her child's life.
Got this from a friend the other day. I think that it puts the matter in perspective quite nicely.

A worried woman went to her ob/gyn and said:

'Doctor, I have a serious problem and desperately need your help! My baby is not even 1 yr. old and I'm pregnant again. I don't want kids so close together.'

The doctor said: 'Ok, and what do you want me to do?'

She replied: 'I want you to end my pregnancy, and I'm counting on your help with this.'

The doctor thought for a bit, and after some silence he said to the woman: 'I think I have a better solution for your problem. It's less dangerous for you too.'

She smiled, thinking that the doctor was going to accept her request.

Then he continued: 'You see, in order for you not to have to take care of 2 babies at the same time, let's kill the one in your arms. This way, you could rest some before the other one is born. If we're going to kill one of them, it doesn't matter which one it is. There would be no risk for your body if you chose the one in your arms.'

The woman was horrified and said: 'No way! How terrible! It's a crime to kill a child!'

'I agree', the doctor replied. 'But you seemed to be OK with it, so I thought maybe that was the best solution.'

He showed the mom that there is no difference in killing a child that's already been born and one that's still in the womb. The crime is the same.

I couldn't agree more.

2 comments:

Cameron said...

Poignant and persuasive. I usually ask pro-aborts this question: "what would be the impact of finding a live human fetus on Mars?" The universal answer is something like this, "that would be the greatest scientific discovery of all time!" With a simple turn of my head and a raising of one eyebrow they tend to get the message. It is just as miraculous in the womb on earth as on the surface of Mars.

Jonathan said...

Nice. I wish I could raise one eyebrow. Those muscles just don't respond to my brain's orders.