Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Autumn Glory

Old white frame church in autumn
Since the picture and the text seem so appropriate I thought I'd include today's Pray The Vote 2008 prayer assignment from the Presidential Prayer Team.

Going a little farther, He fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as You will."
--Matthew 26:39

Sovereign God, Your plans are perfect and Your ways are right and just. You put Your plans in place and we see the beauty of all You have designed. We trust in Your perfect will, even when it does not make sense to us.

O Lord, bring about Your perfect will in our nation through these elections, we pray. Do just as You intend and give us faith and understanding to relinquish our wills to Yours, just as Your Son Jesus did when He surrendered His life for our sin. We thank You for Your goodness, and for Your kindness to us and our nation. In Your name, Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be watching the results this evening with a strong curiosity about how the vote will go. Personally, I believe that the margin of lead that the mainstream press and their 'polls' have been giving to Obama in the last few weeks will be proven to be grossly overstated. I can't say that he won't be elected in the end, but I don't think it will be by the point spread that some have been predicting if he does. I base this on the fact of what I have heard when speaking the last couple of days to various people who were FIRMLY on the liberal side of the political aisle, and have been for years. These are people who told me back in Aug/Sep that they were voting for Obama, they liked his views, etc.

Anyway, these 4 firmly politically 'left' thinking folks have all told me they changed their mind at the last moment (in one case as they were standing there looking at the ballot) and voted McCain. One is a person who isn't really pro-life - has NEVER thought about that when choosing a candidate before, always considered herself more of a 'it's a woman's personal decision, etc' sort of thinker - but couldn't get her mind around the TOTALLY liberal views of Obama on this subject (praise God!). Another just felt that Obama has been saying what he thinks he needs to say to get elected, rather than his true views, after finding out more about his associations with folks like Rev. Wright. A third person said they just felt more and more like the TRUST factor wasn't there with him as they learned more about him - she felt he's hiding some pretty ugly skeletons in his closet. A fourth person told me that they were still undecided until they saw Obama try to speak (was it yesterday or today) when his teleprompter gave out. Like he didn't know his own views unless he was reading them off the prompter.

If these 4 traditional liberals can see through the 'packaging' around Obama and feel that McCain is the better choice, I'm sure there are others out there too.

At any rate, I have done my part this morning to choose the next President. Amen to your thoughts on the need for prayer for our great country and whomever gets chosen to sit in the Oval office for the next 4 years. I hope that person will allow God to work through them to guide our country back to our basic fundamentals and to keep my beloved USA strong and free.

Jonathan said...

I only wish more had followed their lead. I am especially disappointed that it looks like NC has gone to Obama. We did our part in the election, now it is time to do our part in the prayer closet.