Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving 2008

Norman Rockwell's 'Freedom From Want'Happy Thanksgiving, friends. I have said it before, and I suppose I will continue to say that Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday. I like it because it isn't as commercial as Christmas.

The grocery stores make a pseudo-deal out of it, but when you walk into the stores and see Christmas decorations and displays up, it is kind of hard to hide the truth. So in a way, I guess I like Thanksgiving because it is a little bit of a Charlie Brown holiday: often over-looked, under appreciated, and poorly celebrated but with such potential for greatness.

The Christian faith, in breaking away from our Jewish roots, has abandoned the great festivals instituted by God in the Bible. For them we have made substitutions, but very few with the depth of significance of the biblical festivals. Thanksgiving is one of the ones that seems closest of all. Its stated purpose is to be a day set aside to give thanks to God for the many blessings that He has poured out on us individually and as a nation. And how greatly we have been blessed!

Our land has known peace and security for most of its existence. Only a few wars have been fought on our soil. This is an incredible blessing. Our nation has known great prosperity. It is a beautiful land. It is a land where people have been free to express their opinions - even to express opposition to the government. It is a land where we are free to worship as we choose or not at all. I thank God when I think about the principles upon which this nation was founded.

I too am very blessed. I have wonderful friends. I have a nice home. I have transportation and food. I have clothing. I have a family that cares about me and a wonderful church that does the same. Most of all, though, I guess I am most thankful that God loves me and that He sent His Son to die for my sins so that I could have fellowship with Him.

I pray that each of you is enjoying this holiday. I pray that there is peace and harmony with the people that you are celebrating it with. I pray for your safety and health. And mostly I pray that you keep in mind that today is about more than eating turkey, spending time with friends and family, and watching sports. It is first and foremost a day to give thanks.

If you have something that you are thankful for, I'd love to have you comment about it!

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: