Monday, January 28, 2008

State Of The Union

I watched the President's State of the Union Address this evening. I thought that he did a pretty good job. I wish that he had addressed the Congress with such fire every year that he spoke there. I think that we would have been much better off had he vetoed a few more bills along the way. We'll see if he vetoes any more in the coming 12 months. At least he looked like he was having fun.

The only things that I really disagreed with him on was the whole "global warming" hoax and his conviction that it is possible to have a peacefully co-existent "Palestine" and Israel. I was watching the speech with an educator who is not happy with the "No child left behind" mandate too.

Most of the teachers that I have talked to are not happy with No Child Left Behind. I would like to know what their problems are with the program and know what they think that it would take to fix it. My personal feeling is that public education is so radically broken that it can't be fixed without starting over from scratch - but that isn't likely to happen. There are too many commies bureaucrats involved in the schools and in government, and bureaucracies are good at one thing and one thing only - providing life support to failed bureaucracies.

The thing that always gets me about the State Of The Union address is the hypocrisy of the assembled law makers. Half of these people rail against the President as if he were the devil incarnate, and yet there they are giving him two five-minute-long standing ovations before he had even said a word. Fox News reported before the President entered the chamber that Nancy Pelosi said that she wouldn't be sad to see the President go at all, and there the two-faced thing was smiling and greeting the President as if he were a long-lost friend. I hope all of the left-wing voters were watching to see which of the Democrats were clapping about the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. I detest that kind of duplicity.

I didn't watch the Democratic rebuttal. I never do that any more because it just pisses me off. I am so sick of people whose only response is to gainsay anything that the President says. I am sick of the self-serving attitudes of so many people in politics. I am sick of the willingness to serve the party at all costs to the destruction of our country. So many of the people in Washington - both Democrats and Republicans - are nothing but greedy, power-hungry, selfish slugs who think about nothing but what it will take to get re-elected and gain control of the Congress and the White House and maybe how to score with the cute intern that works in their office. I'd love to see the slate wiped clean of every politician that operates this way. They are destroying this country that I have always loved so dearly.

I am still extremely annoyed with the Congress. They continue to waste time on stupid things like global warming and performance-enhancing drugs in professional sports, and cannot seem to manage to deal with the things that the American people have put them there to do.

They are not willing to make the hard decisions about immigration, social security, tax reform, border security, and health care that must be made, but they'll try to throw Barry Bonds in jail for using steroids. This is why their approval rating is the lowest in history. It is why the Republicans lost control of the House and the Senate - not angst over the war. The Republican's base was so disgusted and disillusioned with their inability to get the job done when they had been handed the White House, the House Of Representatives, and the Senate that they stayed away in droves during the last elections. If something doesn't change, it is likely to happen this November too, but that is a rant for another post.

So to wrap up, good job, Mr. President, and thank you.

No comments: