Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Greens A' Cookin'

Tonight I have been cooking a pot of greens. I didn't get my greens on New Years' Day. Instead we had cabbage. I reckon it will work as well as the greens, but I still missed the greens.

I have been sampling them as the night has worn on. They are pretty good. I bought a pound of turnip greens and a pound of mustard greens. They smelled so good when I was cutting them up that I had to try them. I was surprised. They taste pretty good raw too. Might end up in a wintry salad some day. It had an almost arugula flavor to it. With a lemon vinaigrette? Hmmm..... But I digress.

If you have never cooked greens before you would be amazed by how much they cook down. I knew that they would reduce as they cooked, but I never would have dreamed that a half a pot would render down to less than ¼. I am pretty sure what I'm having for supper tomorrow: greens, corn bread, baked sweet potato and some black-eyed peas. Mmmmm. I don't guess it sounds (or gets for that matter) any more Southern than that.

Think it sounds gross? That's alright - just leaves more for me!

2 comments:

gman said...

Brother I have only one comment. More of a request. Can you box that dinner up and ship it to Thailand? I think it would taste really good with some rice. :)

Missing good Southern cooking :)

Jonathan said...

Heard that, bro. Email me that shipping address and I'll see what I can do!

It is funny, really. I enjoy all kinds of foods - everything from the hoity toity gourmet stuff to every other nationality that I have tried so far, and yet, in the final analysis, nothing is as good to me as plain old fashioned Southern cooking.

I feel for you, bro. I really do.