Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Day 2...

Yesterday I gave you my initial response to the news that "my" church is closing down. I really didn't get to react to things because I had to do some work with my dad. We talked about it, but I didn't have the chance to emotionally deal with it.

Things were kind of that way when my Grandfather died. I really just wanted to lie down for a while and mourn, but I really didn't get that chance. Someone called me just a few minutes after I had lain down on the day he died. Their call was an encouragement and strengthened me, but interrupted the opportunity to mourn a little bit.

Today I got my chance to mourn the decision to close my church. Perhaps in a way I mourned my Grandfather too. I really wasn't productive at all and spent probably 4 hours just sleeping it off. (I don't mean alcohol - it never entered into the picture.)

When I woke up, I got the chance to talk to a friend about things, and I had an email from another friend, and a comment from a friend about this situation. All were beneficial in helping me to get my mind around some of the possibilities that exist around the edges of the paradigm that I was using to evaluate this event.

Later this afternoon I got to talk to other friends and was encouraged by their responses and insights. It was nice that some of my thoughts had been echoed in their minds.

In the midst of my afternoon I was able to spend time with my niece and we were able to have dinner together at Burger King. It was a special time. I really enjoyed being able to do that with her.

When I took her home I was able to talk to my sister, who is also a member of our church. Her comments helped me too. And I have finished my evening off with input from my pastor and several other friends.

In the end I have had some suggestions of things that God may be orchestrating as a result of this very unpleasant situation. I have seen courage in my church family that has encouraged me very much. I have discovered that some of my brothers and sisters are warriors in sheep's clothing.

I still don't have enough information to make a final decision about how I will move forward. I will be spending time with another family from our church tomorrow night which will give me an opportunity to hear what they are thinking. There are 3 other people beyond that that I really want to talk to before I start making any further plans.

The next three weeks I am planning to have a "Greatest Hits" celebration during our worship. I'll be calling folks in the church to get their five favorite songs that we do as I am putting our list together. At least we will be going out with some good music!

So that is all for now. I need to get some sleep so that I can be productive tomorrow to make up for today's period of mourning. I am sure that as things develop you'll be able to read about it here - at least what I'm willing to share! Thanks for reading.

No comments: