Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Need Some Information About John McCain?

“I seek the nomination of our Party, because I am as confident today as I was when I first entered public life as a foot soldier in the Reagan Revolution that the principles of the Republican Party – our confidence in the good sense and resourcefulness of free people – are always in America’s best interests. In war and peace, in good times and challenging ones, we have always known that the first responsibility of government is to keep this country safe from its enemies, and the American people free of a heavy-handed government that spends too much of their money, and tries to do for them what they are better able to do for themselves. We want government to do its job, not your job; to do it better and to do it with less of your money; to defend our nation’s security wisely and effectively, because the cost of our defense is so dear to us; to respect our values because they are the true source of our strength; to enforce the rule of law that is the first defense of freedom; to keep the promises it makes ot us and not make promises it will not keep. We believe government should do only those things we cannot do individually, and then get out of the way so that the most industrious, ingenious, and enterprising people in the world can do what they have always done: build an even greater country than the one they inherited.”
- John McCain

Well, it would seem that the list of presidential candidates is growing smaller and smaller by the day. By the time the primaries hit here in NC it will probably be a moot point. One of the candidates that I have been considering is John McCain, but I haven't done so confidently. He has done some things in recent years that I have strenuously disagreed with, the McCain/Feingold Campaign Finance Reform Bill being right at the top of the list. He has also not been terribly popular with the NRA.

As it has become evident that Senator McCain has managed to survive his campaign's near collapse earlier last year I realize that I need to do some research on him, but just haven't been terribly motivated to do so yet. Tonight I found an article written in his support by Michael Medved. I found it helpful, though I am not ready to put full confidence in it. I hope that you will find it informative too.

2 comments:

Wade Huntsinger said...

Me too. I heard that James Dobson would not endorese McCain but I do not know why. I would like to. I respect this man because of his military record. For God's sake he serves to be preseident because of his POW status. He is a hero but is that enough. I am investigating as well; McCain, Huckabee looks like my top two but I am not sure yet.

Jonathan said...

The beauty of the age in which we live is that it is relatively easy to research candidates using the internet. Of course it still takes discernment, but everything does.

As I gather information I'll be posting it on the blog. I hope that it will be helpful to you.

I would about have to come down to where you are on choices. I just can't see supporting Romney or Paul. I would have an easier time supporting Gingrich, but he isn't in the race, and after super Tuesday there may not be anyone besides McCain in it for the Republicans.

That would make for some interesting maneuverings at the convention. I will be interested to see who ends up as the VP candidate.