Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Got Mud?

Joshua Dellinger on his dirtbike, starting the race in Denver, NC on June 29, 2008I attended my first dirtbike race this past Sunday. I have to say that it was absolutely nothing like I imagined it would be.

When I arrived at the track I was greeted by someone who gave me a liability waiver to sign and charged me the $5 to get in. I thought a liability waiver for a spectator was a little odd, but I'll get to that in a bit.

First of all I did not expect all that many people to be there. I could not believe how many people were at this race. It was only the grace of God that led me to the people that I was trying to meet and a parking space.

Joshua Dellinger on his dirtbike, starting the race in Denver, NC on June 29, 2008Secondly, I really thought that the race course would be much more viewable and much more secure. As it was you could only see a few feet of the course and the only way to go to different vantage points was to literally walk ON the track while the race was going on. Yes, you read that correctly. People were actually allowed to walk on the course while the race was taking place. You had to get out of the way when the riders were coming by.

Is it just me or does this sound like a fatality just waiting to happen? In fact, I saw a toddler nearly run down (accidentally) by some racers that were trying to go around a pile up. In the place where I was standing to take the main picture the track narrowed to a rut about 10 inches wide with spectators less than 20 inches from the racers themselves. This was common all along the course. Add to that the fact that the track was slick with mud and there were numerous inexperienced riders out racing. Doesn't sound very safe to you? Me either! Now I understand the waiver.

Josh Dellinger racing dirtbikes in Denver, NCUnfortunately for my nephew the muddiness of the course pretty well ruined it for him. He hates riding in mud. I can't say that I can blame him. I was pretty sick of the stuff too by the time the race was over. I was wearing my fair share. Fortunately, as far as I know there were no major injuries this weekend. My guess is that some guardian angels are going to have some words with a few folk one of these days!

No comments: