Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Anniversary Of The Battle Of Gettysburg

The Field At Gettysburg, PA
Today is the anniversary of the beginning of the Battle of Gettysburg. This battle was known as the "high water mark of the Confederacy." A good chunk of my family recently visited the battlefield while visiting my brother in Maryland.

I remember my first visit to Gettysburg. Some friends from Lancaster County, PA took me to see it while I was up visiting with them. I guess it was kind of old hat to them, but it was my first visit and I was frankly stunned by it. There is certainly a feeling of the gravity of what took place there.

One of the most shocking things was that the very first place we stopped was the bluff where the NC troops assembled. I was standing in the very place that most of my male ancestors from that generation had stood. Many of them came back much worse for the wear. It was eerie. Perhaps later I will tell more about some of their stories... I'll also try to get some old photos uploaded.

In the meantime you can read more about the battle at the Free Dictionary if you so desire.

No comments: