Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Ever Seen Baby Corn Before?

A 'baby' ear of cornI grew up in the country around such things, but never saw the beginning of an ear of corn before yesterday.

I'm not exactly sure why this is. It is either that I wasn't curious enough to try to find out, or I just wasn't around at the right time in the process. Either way, I thought I'd share this with you just in case you would also like to know.

Here is the thing that just amazes me with this garden thing: the stuff happens so dang fast! I mean one day you're out working and notice that something is starting to change a little bit and then BOOM! All of a sudden it has happened. It is so easy to miss the miracle if you don't see it pretty regularly.

In the picture above you can see the very beginning of an ear of corn. (Coming out right between the stalk and the leaf.) This began just days after the tassels began to show up at the top of the corn.

Red Ruby Queen corn silkWhat is really cool is that it doesn't stay like this very long. Within a day or two BAM! You already have silk! Isn't that the coolest?!

Now this picture is from my Ruby Queen corn. Something you will notice about this is that instead of having white or golden colored silk this corn has red silk!

That isn't all. It also has red pollen on the tassels too. You'll probably have to click on the picture below to enlarge it so that you can see the color on the tassel.

Red pollen on Ruby Queen corn tasselsI don't know. Maybe I am easily impressed, but I just think this is one of the coolest things that I have witnessed.

It is a lot of fun to actually see this stuff happening instead of showing up after all of the amazing bits have already taken place and it is time to start working.

If you have never grown anything from a seed you should really do it sometime just so that you can watch the miracle take place.

Jonathan Eller being dwarfed by his cornI planted this corn and it was a tiny seed... barely the size of a pencil's eraser. Within seven days it had already popped up through the soil, and now it has grown from that tiny seed to the point that most of it is over 6 feet tall and is beginning to produce fruit!

All of this has transpired in less than two months. According to the seed packet I should be enjoying the corn that I grew myself by the end of July. This just rocks!

No comments: