Tuesday, September 21, 2004

WB is Alive!!!

I recently got off of the phone with WB this afternoon. He and his family are safe! I have to admit that I was really starting to get worried about him. I started trying to call him the morning after the storm hit and was never able to reach him. It turns out that his phone got wet. Guess I have to call the Red Cross back now.

The bad news is that the photo of the gazebo that I posted a couple of days ago actually WAS close to WB's house.


Flooding at a location not too far from WB's home Posted by Hello

Because his house sits a little higher than where the gazebo was, the flooding only came up to chest high. I guess 2 or 3 feet could mean the difference between survival and drowning for humans, but for personal items it really doesn't matter if the water is 4 feet deep or 12 feet deep. Nearly everything they own was ruined. WB is still sorting through stuff and trying to clean up heirlooms, but it doesn't look too good.

In a bit of irony, there is also a singlewide mobile home on WB's property that is being used as an office. Due to the strength of the hurricane, everyone assumed that the trailer would be reduced to rubble when the storm hit, so WB spent a good bit of time removing important items from the office to the main house. When all was said and done, the trailer had almost no damage, while the house was flooded. Weird. But I guess it is a blessing too: at least his family has a place to stay.

I haven't heard yet how his turtle friend, Mr. Doodles fared through the storm.


Mr. Doodles - a turtle. I don't remember what kind. I think he is a gopher tortise of some kind. Posted by Hello

WB has been keeping an eye on the little guy ever since he decided to take up residence in his garden last year. Hopefully, he was able to escape the floodwaters of the Blackwater River. I will make it a point to ask about Mr. D. tomorrow.

Anyway, please be praying for WB and his family. They are certainly glad to have their lives and a place to stay, but losing so many of their family heirlooms is tough for anyone. Perhaps we can pray that somehow most of it can be salvaged. I am still convinced that God causes all of these things to work together for good. We haven't found the silver lining yet, but I am sure that it will be evident before too long.

And please also consider sending financial support to one of the agencies that is helping to bring relief to all of those whose lives have been disrupted by Ivan the Terrible.

No comments: