Saturday, August 23, 2008

In The Ground

I managed to get everything planted yesterday. I planted collard greens, curly leaf mustard greens, purple top turnips, rutabagas, spinach, late flat dutch cabbage, stonehead cabbage, savoy cabbage, and sugar pumpkins.

It was a pretty busy day. In addition to buying my plants and seed, I prepared the bed for the greens and rutabagas, tilled a section of the garden, sorted through some rocks, and picked my purplehull peas.

I got my supplies at Goodman Farm Supply here in China Grove. I love that place. It smells and looks like an old timey farm store. It reminds me of O. O. Rufty's in Salisbury before they sold to Okey Dokey except they don't have the old fashioned drink coolers and they don't have as much assorted junk as Rufty's had. The best thing is that they guys who run the store are farmers, and they can give you great advice. I went in there a couple years ago to buy some stuff for my lawn, and the owner kept me from buying and putting the wrong thing out. He told me how to take care of the lawn and his advice really worked. I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten that kind of service or advice from Lowe's or Wal-Mart. They would have sold me what I asked for, and I would have wasted money destroying my lawn.

The store didn't have any onions yet. He had carried some last year, but his customers didn't have good results. He thinks that they may have gotten them in a little too early last year. He is working with his plant supplier to figure out the best time for the onion plants to be set out for the fall.

I have a good bit to do in the garden today. I need to pick my lima beans and I need to get the irrigation system fixed. I also have green beans and okra that need to be processed. I also need to mow at least part of my yard.

So why am I writing a blog post? Because I am procrastinating. I'm not proud of it, but it is what it is.

This coming week I will be processing tomatoes. I plan to make salsa! Should be fun. I'll keep you up-to-date.

5 comments:

Learner said...

Oh! I LOVE savoy cabbage...it is so lacy and pretty. Are the sugar pumpkins big ones or small? The name made me think they are small for some reason.

Jonathan said...

Hmmm. Well, it would seem that you know more about it than I do! They had three kinds of cabbage and since the fellow helping me wasn't much, I decided to buy a tray of each.

Now after reading about it, I am thinking that I should perhaps buy some more savoy.

I am thinking about making sauerkraut out of some of it. I may do a polish style like my grandmother makes, and I'd also like to try a Bavarian style with caraway seed. I may need more cabbage. I think I have room.

Jonathan said...

After more research it would seem that you are correct. The sugar pumpkins are rather small - as pumpkins go. They look to be smaller than a volleyball.

Learner said...

Will you can the sauerkraut? Smaller than a volleyball sounds like a great size for a pumpkin.

Jonathan said...

Yes, I plan to can the sauerkraut. I think the size of the pumpkins should be pretty good. Nice and manageable. They are a very pretty orange color too.