Monday, August 18, 2008

Anyone Catch The Perseid Meteor Shower?

A meteor falls during the Perseid Meteor Shower over Joshua Tree National ParkSo, did you catch the Perseid Meteor Shower last week? I stayed out from about 12 midnight to about 1:15, and I was pretty unimpressed. (Especially compared to the Leonid Meteor Shower that I watched a few years ago.) I think that at the "peak" I saw two simultaneous meteors streak across the sky and probably didn't see more than a dozen in the entire time I was watching. In fact, I doubt I saw that many. I think my eyes were playing tricks on me, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that perhaps the meteors were so small that they were hard to see...

At least it was a very pleasant night to be out - unlike the Leonid shower that I watched when the temperature early that morning was somewhere between brass bra and well-digger's butt cold.

I know. Gripe, gripe, gripe!

No comments: