Monday, November 22, 2004

'Target' Acquired - Fire For Effect

My good friend WB posted on the OES blog on Friday. In the midst of some general updates about what is going on with his company he linked to a really great article by Kevin McCullough about how Target is starting to regret not allowing the Salvation Army to do its annual kettle drive in front of their stores. Kevin wrote:

To the Salvation Army's credit – even though they are now being denied space on public sidewalks – they have been careful to publicly state that they wish only the best for their future relationships with stores like Target which have eliminated this important revenue stream for them.

But I don't have to be as gracious, nor will I. Target needs to hear "en masse" that Americans miss our ringing bells. We miss the thought of true charity as expressed at Christmas time. Having spoken with Target Corporation in their worldwide headquarters, they informed me that senior management is extremely concerned about the impact of this controversial decision and will welcome and read all correspondence on the matter. Please send your thoughts to guest.relations@target.com.


Good show, Kevin. I heartily agree! WB also included a link that can be clicked so that you too can send disparaging email to Target's corporate office.

Click here to email Target.

I really like this. It is nice and convenient. When you make it this simple there really isn't any reason to not drop them a line. So I did. Here's what I wrote:

To whomever it may concern:

I want to take this opportunity to tell you that I will never set foot in a Target store again. Your decision to bar the Salvation Army from collecting funds from in front of your stores is a total affront to me.

The Salvation Army is one of the most efficient charities in the nation. Very little of the money that they collect is lost to bureaucracy. They run homeless shelters and food banks. They feed and clothe people after natural disasters. They are a Christian organization, but they are one of the most low key ministries around.

It is a complete farce to say that you are just trying to be fair to the other charities that may want to solicit funds. You're going to be fair by keeping them all away? What a load of rubbish! The simple fact of the matter is that this is double speak to say that you want to be politically correct and not support the Salvation Army because of their Christian belief and stance on several social issues.

This, of course, is your company's right. We live in a free country and you can ban or allow anyone you choose from soliciting funds from your customers. However, it is also my right to choose to spend my dollars wherever I see fit. I will make it a point to shop at Wal-Mart and Big Lots this year (and I have never shopped at Big Lots before in my life) because they have welcomed the Salvation Army with open arms. I will also exercise my freedom of speech and tell all of my friends why they shouldn't patronize your bigoted, fascist organization.

In fact, I have already gone further than that by telling the world through my web log about my displeasure with your decision. I am sick and tired of corporations and organizations that are trying to impose their secular world view on me and my family. If you want a secular society move to France. I'll help you pack. Though you are not a French-owned company you should feel right at home.


I hope that they try to come back with some sort of politically correct, hand-wringing, "it isn't our fault" response! I can hardly wait! I'm loaded for bear, and there aren't any bears in my part of the state. Guess it is time for some Target practice!

No comments: