Sunday, August 29, 2004

Baseball!


Durham Bulls (Tampa Bay Devil Rays AAA afiliate) Posted by Hello

Last night, I had the opportunity to go watch the Durham Bulls play the Norfolk Tides in Durham. It was a perfect night for baseball. The temperature was about 80 degrees, the humidity was pretty low, and there was a gentle breeze blowing. I love being at the ballpark on a night like that. Unfortunately the Bulls got creamed. Their pitching wasn't up to par and a couple of massive homeruns really did them in.

Sadly, the minor league baseball season is winding down. I say, "Sadly" but the truth of the matter is that I have mixed emotions about the ending of the season. On the one hand, I love going to watch baseball. There is nothing in the world like going to the ballpark and experiencing the food, the smells, the sounds, and the chance to watch all of the people. The game also looks different from the stands. Of course, I rarely ever get to actually watch a game. Most of the time when I go to the park, I have company or family with me. Watching a ballgame with anyone else means that you are probably going to miss most of the game! However, that is something that I like about baseball. Most of the time, it is slow enough paced to allow you to interact with the people around you and still catch most of the highlights of the game - unless you are sitting in foul ball territory! Then you have to pay really close attention unless you want a Rawlings tattoo! When you actually do get to watch the game, there are so many subtle things that happen around the field that there is plenty to keep you interested.

On the other hand, my brother-in-law is a AAA minor league umpire. There are certain advantages to having a family member in the game. I never pay to get into a ballgame anymore. That is nice. But the down side is that he is away from my sister and their kids for weeks at a time. The end of the season is the chance that we have to all be together as a family again.

I may try to go and catch the last two games in Durham this season tomorrow night. The temperature should be moderate again and with it being a Monday I should be able to sit about where I want to.

It has been quite a journey for Dusty. I guess he has been doing this umpiring thing now for 8 or 9 years. When he started out he had to drive to every game using his own vehicle. Now that he is AAA things are alot better. They get to fly to most of their parks and the perks are much better than they have been in the lower levels.


My brother-in-law, Dusty Dellinger (the umpire) Posted by Hello

We are hoping that Dusty will get a shot at the majors in the next couple of years. The Umpires' contract negotiation comes up this year, and many of the AAA guys are hoping that there will be some new openings at the end of the negotiations. We can only hope. This past year, Dusty did Major League spring training and it looks like he may get another shot at that this Spring. I hope so. He didn't get to call any ML games this year, but will probably get his shot next year.

So as the season winds down I'm sad that my favorite spectator sport is gone for another 7 months. Fortunately I have college football to take its place! Anyway, here's to hoping that the off-season will bring good news. Good luck, Dusty!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, going to see a baseball game is sooo fun! I want to go to some games next season, would you be up to that?

John Toomey

John Toomey said...

I now have a blogger! My screen name is john_toomey

Jonathan said...

Too bad we can't get the Bronx Bombers out doing some batting practice on the protesters - especially the ones that kicked that detective in the head. I'd love to see their stupid heads flying over the center field wall...

Jonathan said...

Welcome to blogworld, John. It's a strange place!Please remember to wipe your feet and wear fresh underwear - just in case you are in an accident! Let me know when you start posting!

John Toomey said...

Jonathan, I started posting when I got my Blooger. I did my 3rd post today... lol Let's get together and hang out sometime soon, when is good for you?

Jonathan said...

Toomey, how about emailing me a link to your site. I'll add it to my official links...

Jonathan said...

OK, OK, rat, I'll write you some cheese...